How To Install A Car Battery
It is imperative to properly maintain a car in order to assure its safety. Depending on the vehicle certain components will require regular maintenance checks at different times. Even when a vehicle has been meticulously cared for, it is to be expected that as a car accrues miles and ages there will be a need for both repairs as well as some vehicle component replacements to enable it to remain operational. Some routine vehicle maintenance work can be done without the help of a mechanic, while other routine tasks will require more auto mechanical knowledge to be carried out properly. Regardless of how well maintained a car is every car will need a battery replacement at some point. Generally speaking, car batteries wear out every few years and will then need to be replaced. Due to the fact that cars are so dependent on the vehicle battery, many cars have a battery light located on the dashboard. When this warning light is illuminated on a vehicle dashboard, it is meant to alert the driver to check the car battery and it should not be ignored. It is always best to replace a worn out car battery to avoid getting stranded. Installing a car battery is one of the routine vehicle maintenance tasks that is relatively uncomplicated and can likely be completed by the vehicle owner.
The steps to installing a car battery are straightforward, and can be successfully completed even by beginners. It is imperative to have ample protection and wear gloves and eye shields when working with car batteries. Below is a step-by-step breakdown of how to install a car battery:
- Identify the location of the battery: depending on the type of vehicle, the car battery can be located under the hood, under the floorboards, behind a wheel wall or in the trunk. The vehicle owner’s manual will provide the exact location of the car battery.
- Distinguish the positive and negative posts and attached cables: the positive post might have a plastic red cover and/ or will have a red cable attached to the area of the battery that has a plus symbol clearly displayed.
- Loosen both the negative terminal and negative cable: carefully use a wrench to free the secured negative terminal from the negative side of the battery post.
- Repeat process on the positive terminal.
- Using a socket and ratchet and/ or wrench remove the battery hold-down clamp.
- Remove the battery from the tray without jostling it too much; keep in mind that batteries are heavy so use both hands.
- Make sure the terminals attached to the ends of the battery cables are clean: if they are not, clean them and remove any corrosion and debris.
- Position the replacement battery so the positive post matches up to the positive terminal and positive cable location.
- Insert the new battery.
- Secure new battery with the battery hold-down clamp.
- Remove the plastic camps that cover the battery posts.
- Install anti-corrosion washers over the battery posts, and/ or spray them anti-corrosion solution.
- Attach the red, positive terminal to the red, positive post, and tighten until it is snug.
- Attach the negative terminal to the negative post, and tighten until it is snug.
- Assure the battery is secure by wiggling the battery. If it moves the hold-down clamp should be further tightened. After each tightening recheck to make sure the battery does not wiggle, continue to tighten until the battery no longer moves.
Should an individual replacing his or her car battery feel uncomfortable about his or her work, at any point prior to beginning the process (i.e. locating the proper replacement battery) or during the process, or after the replacement has been completed (i.e. the battery light remains lit on the dashboard), he or she should not hesitate to consult and/ or take the vehicle a mechanic for further assistance.
As an automotive parts and supply shop with decades of experience we have access to extensive inventory. Northstar Automotive is staffed with incredibly knowledgeable professionals, dedicated to provide topnotch service to all its customers. Let us help you make sure you are equipped with everything you need to ensure all of your vehicles are in excellent shape. Please feel free to contact one of our sales associates for more information. We can be reached through our website’s contact us page. We look forward to connecting and providing you with outstanding assistance.